Monday, September 28, 2015

What would Jesus post?

There is this belief that the internets are outside the realm of God.  Right, it is sciencey stuff, and we all know about what happened to Galileo.  Social media has no place in Christianity, it is not in the Bible.  People look at porn on the Googles.  You get the general idea.

I look at it the other way around.  We are hooked up to God's Facebook.  Hear me out.  You know those folks that put all their laundry on the Facebook?  You know those folks that put all of everybody else's mess on the Facebook?  You know those folks that read everyone else's mess on the Facebook?

God's Facebook automatically posts, can never be deleted or edited, can never be hidden, and is 100% accurate, always.  Consider that fully.  God's Newsfeed is 100% accurate.  That old lady in front of you on the highway, God saw that post that you flipped her off for holding you up.  God saw that post that you walked by that homeless guy with 4 bucks in your pocket, and gave him nothing.  God saw that post about what you thought about that woman in the red skirt that walked by.

God saw that post about what you said about that guy at work that just frustrates you to no end.  God saw that post that you didn't go see the family because you went out with your buddies instead, not work like you told your family.  God saw that post that you rolled over on Sunday and decided not to go to church, even though you had plenty of time to get there.

It also works the other way.  God saw that post that you paid for coffee refills for the whole table of older gentlemen in McDonald's, without telling them.  God saw that post that you donated $100 to that family that lost their 3 year old to drowning, in one of those jugs at the gas station.  God saw that post that you delivered flowers to the nursing home, for the lady that never has any visitors.

God saw that post that you prayed for your spouse.  God saw that post that you prayed for your favorite team.  God saw that post that you did not pray for your friend that asked you for prayer.

God did not invent Facebook, because He had an infinitely superior version already going on.  Jesus knows.  So, today, as I was perusing the trending stuff, I wondered, what would Jesus post? And how different would my post be?  I don't pretend to speak for Jesus, but it was intriguing to consider.

The newborn, with umbilical cord still attached, that was thrown out of the 7th story window in New York...my post was immediate condemnation and horror.  I would literally have been okay with throwing that person out behind the baby.  Jesus would probably have posted that it was horrible, sad, and that they all needed prayer, especially that hurt and confused person that did that to the child.  He would then post that we all need healing and compassion, and that God has the child in his arms.

The model, who "shut down" the "body shamers"...My post was along the lines of, you make obscene amounts of money to wear clothes, you have to be kidding me that you have some issue with what anyone says about how you look.  Jesus might have posted that he was very proud that she was able to own her insecurity, and that he loves us all, and we are beautiful in his eyes, just as he made us.

The Pope laughing at Mini Pope, and blessing the sick children...My post was admiration of a moral lesson that shames me, at least, in how he conducts his life.  Jesus might have posted that Francis was indeed one of his beautiful children, and that he loved him.

Jesus probably would not have posted anything about whether I had the right attitude or not.  Jesus would not have posted anything about the uncharitable acts I committed.  He would not have posted about the struggles that I have shared only with him.  He would not have posted pictures of me in an unflattering position.  He would not have posted rumors that swirl around me.

Do I think that Jesus would have used Facebook, had it been available to him?  I think he uses it everyday.  I think he encourages through words there.  I think he confronts us with examples there.  I think he inspires us with stories there.  There is nothing in this world God, Jesus, do not use to our benefit.

So, with that I encourage you, please, consider what Jesus would post.  And, as importantly, what Jesus would not post should be a consideration.  It is a new time, but there is nothing new under the sun.  The rules are still the same.  Love others more than yourself.  Let that be your guide, through social media.

What brought this sermon?  I read some things today that really just made me feel awesome.  Clearly an inspiration, and that dramatically improved my day.  But, I also saw several things, things I have posted in other ways before, that just shocked me.  It was just clear to me that those posts were just not worthy of the reputation I want, or try to maintain.

So, it led me to think what would Jesus post, and here we are.  There is nothing wrong with social media, nor the internet, nor technology.  The only wrong is what you bring to it of your own accord.  There are no bad cars, bad guns, or bad technology.  They are only things, they only are weapons, hurtful, if used with that intention, by our choices.  What would Jesus choose?  That is the place I want to start from.

Love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment