I don't know why it peeved me so much, but it did. I will freely admit that Marshawn Lynch is a beast on the field. But, it does not explain the crap he plays off the field. Someone that makes their incredibly large and lavish living on a global stage should not be shocked that people want to hear his thoughts and answers.
I am not certain what causes this particular behavior pattern. "I just want my privacy." Like you can make that kind of money in a situation that billions tune into, and have the feigned naiveté to expect to be left alone about it.
To do it as an unmitigated ass is even more irritating to me. I picked a career that makes it necessary to hear every day that something is wrong with where other people work. It is hot, it is cold, it is breezy, it is loud, it vibrates, seriously, I get that one a lot. If I were to reply, "I am just listening so I don't get fired," I would get fired.
There used to be a responsibility that went with a uniform worn to earn a living at a game. Your talent on display for money, meant you interacted with the press and supported the brand. It was part of how you earned your living. Some were good at it, probably better at that part than the game. Dandy Don Meredith comes to mind. Teams kept others from the press.
So, I am kind of shocked at the Seahawks. "Straighten up, or we will sit you through the Super Bowl. I don't care what it costs, but keep being an ass representing our team, and you will not show your brand, or get into the biggest game of your career." Think it doesn't happen, ask Johnny Football what his coach and owner think about him being a fool representing their team.
Seattle has much to be proud of, but it is not this. Marshawn Lynch does not do himself any credit either. The sad part of it is, someone is going to pay him a lot of money to come do this schtick at their organization. Just like someone is going to pay Ray Rice.
Do not think I am convinced this started yesterday. I put a lot of it on Terrell Owens, who elevated rude and ridiculous to Pro Bowl proportions. I know that Babe Ruth was coarse, and Ty Cobb was brash. I even will admit that getting Eddie Murray, one of my favorite baseball players of all time, to say something was a challenge.
I think the main issue is the press. Of course, the coverage of the non-comment is more pervasive than the combined words of all the rest of his teammates. That is unfortunate, because Marshawn has a huge example of how to be professional and correct as an athlete. Russell Wilson does it with class and dignity. Perhaps the care factor is evident, even off the field. Perhaps the piece that goes to the core of what the person is, shows, no matter what.
I can't imagine Derek Jeter, JJ Watt, Bubba Watson, any of these icons, behaving in this way. It is about care, and personal integrity. Not the kind being hidden behind, but the kind that says I owe this organization effort on and off the field, for the fantastic living I am earning. The kind of integrity that will tell out. It shows, the kind of man you are, it shows and it shows and it shows.
"I should be here for more than not being fined, because I am a professional." Wouldn't that be refreshing as an example. Thankfully, we see it more often than the backside affair this is. Beast has the same number of letters as another b word. I think the other word fits better. Even still, this is not murder or robbery or assault. I still love them all, but I do not respect how they all portray themselves as men.
And, that is what should define Beast Mode. It really does, it just has not played out all the way yet.
I love you all.
No comments:
Post a Comment