Friday, May 22, 2015

Memorial Day

There is no greater love than to lay one's life down for another.  The fraternal nature of the military encourages those of us that are veterans to revere and honor those who have shown great love.

My friends, know that most who have given all, had no time to decide if they should.  They met their fate in the single minded devotion to performing their duty.  It happens so quickly as they are about their assigned duties, they did not get to duck, cover, or avoid it.  Because of them, men and women to either side of them were able to continue performing their duty.

Heroes are people that recognize the danger, but proceed anyway.  It is not about bravery.  Every one that has ever been in a life and death situation, that has honesty, will tell you they were afraid.  They just did not let the fear deter them.

American history is filled with those stories.  All of us that have served know our own versions and tellings of many of those stories.  I am not ashamed to tell you that the sound of Taps has never failed to bring tears to my eyes.  That is the sound that consigns the last mortal remnants of my brothers and sisters in service, to their final end.  One day, it will be played over me too.

The painful truth is that a tremendous shift has occurred in America.  It is most apparent in Congress, and the congregations of the wealthy.  Prior to this generation, the percentage of service among the well to do was equivalent or better than the overall average.  Most of Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders were scions of the wealthy Eastern families, students or graduates of Ivy League schools.

Now, almost no child or grandchild of a member of Congress has served.  Since George Bush the First, no president has served on active duty.  Doesn't make them bad people, but it is a sign of what is coming as we march forward.  How many of the candidates in this election cycle have served?  It will shock you to learn.

The final measure of a hero is not his/her bank account, nor their lineage, nor their societal connections.  The final measure is whether their risk was to serve the greater purpose of their comrades and country.

Disservice to a large generation was done, in the aftermath of Vietnam.  The people responsible for that disservice, the Tom Hayden's and such, created a terrible legacy.  It became fashionable to mistreat, mischaracterize and misuse our returning veterans.  I joined the military in 1985, halfway through the Reagan era.  The first time I flew home, in uniform, I had a lady actually spit at me and call me a baby killer.  The real issues that were overshadowed by the politics were never adequately settled.

I support fully the ability of citizens to congregate, disagree and protest.  I spent 21 years protecting this nation so that right could be exercised, along with all the other rights.  It is the singular American quality that separates us from the tyrants and terrorists.  Even though I think you have to have applesauce for brains to believe that Neo Nazi crap, I would go defend your right to express, without reservation.

The beauty of Memorial Day, is that we take time to remember those who gave all.  We put flags on graves, have parades, lay wreaths.  All worthy and meaningful acts, and if you are going to participate in them, thank you.  But, remember also the all who gave some.  Those who were changed permanently by their service, and completed it honorably, should be part of our remembrance.

Most veterans want honor, not pity.  And, they do not seek out recognition.  They work, raise families, live the rest of their lives as best they can.  It is those proud and productive people that we owe for our freedom and liberties as well.

So, as we enjoy the holiday and mattress sales and picnics, at least think about the veterans that you know, or are in your family.  Their service, added together over the history of our nation, has resulted in the country that we have today.  That is the Memorial, of them all, that counts most.

Enjoy the best of America, that they have secured.  I am going on vacation.  Nothing wrong with it.  I wasted my time, if that is not viable.  I salute you all that served.  Especially William H. Hill Jr, Eric Clement, Josh Clement, Zack Vock, Walter B. Goode Jr, Arthur Goode, Leon Maddox.  They not only contributed to the nation we have, but also into me becoming the man I am.  Honor a veteran, it will make you proud.

I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment