So, they are going to erect a monument to Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo. I guess that is not the worst thing that could happen. I am not sure what would be memorialized by doing that. I am confused as to whether that would be for assaulting a police officer or for the strong arm robbery.
Certainly, there are segments of our culture that would find those actions noteworthy and laudatory. I don't see it. In the same way, I do not see what about that whole affair should be celebrated. I am not trying to be disrespectful, but it seems to be the cherry on top of the stupid sundae to make a permanent memorial about what occurred.
Unless it says, don't rob people, fail to comply with the police, or choose to assault the police, it probably is not meant in the correct light. I feel for the family that lost a young son. But, I am just kind of dumbstruck that this is the young man to build a monument for.
I am kind of out of the understanding loop, anyway. I have zero tolerance for domestic violence. I am unlike the NFL Players union. I don't understand how they come to the defense of Ray Rice. He is on videotape knocking his "fiance" unconscious. Not accidentally as he turns a corner, or stretches. In an elevator, he knocks the snot out of her, then drags her off the elevator. As a union, how do you come to the defense of that man? Does it stand to reason that they would have likewise come to his defense if the video showed him shooting her?
No, that is going way too far. Cold cocking her for being annoying, that is just a personal matter and worthy of defending him to the league. Ray Carruth, no defense. The only difference is that whereas Ray C. did not have the stones to do his own violence, Ray R. got no problem throwing the blow.
Will he get signed by another team? Of course, he is a good football player. Owners don't care except to make money. If it makes them look bad, they dispose of the person. If the court can drop the conviction for a fine and anger management, of course an owner can pay him millions to be a player again. Everyone deserves a second chance.
Not so fast, to my mind. Your job is related to providing entertainment and excellence in a sport, representing a team and a fan base. I gave up hope on unions decades ago, an institution that is well past its worthiness. But, we have given up on the representing something part of it. We have examples of how this should work.
I will feel sick writing this, but take Derek Jeter for example, he was the Yankees, a representative for a brand that was the epitome of excellence. I hate the Yankees, GO ORIOLES! But I do respect the man on that team. Compare him with A-Rod, or is that spelled A-hole?
Look at Adrian Peterson. Who wants a guy that beats his kids bloody with a switch, as the representative of their city and their team? Trust me, someone will. What a bargain, you get a pile of talent, inside that pile of whatever. Talent is worth a lot. Success at whatever cost.
I am not against forgiving them. 7 times 70 times. However, forgiveness does not mean forgetting. Forgiveness does not mean no accountability is required. How do these things align? How is a plaque to a young man killed during commission of a crime tie to a running back beating up his girlfriend?
Our societal scale is so corroded and broken that these seem reasonable events to a large segment of our population. There is not a question about whether we let him play again, just when. I have even heard people say it was his own business and has nothing to do with the league. That is what we have come to, in our national conversation. When do we give them their second chance, they deserve it. No, they deserve forgiveness, but also they deserve the weight of the accountability of their actions.
That kid that died on the street, he needs a tombstone, and fond memories that his family maintain. He does not deserve a street plaque marking the scene of his crime. That is the accountability for his actions. We should all feel them, our own accountabilities. It is how our society used to function.
Unions should not be obligated to support or defend violent criminals. (Or cheaters, though they will stand up for Tom Brady.) Team owners should have enough pride in their franchise to take control of the degeneration of the league. I give Cleveland big points for jacking up Johnny Football. What made them draft him, I don't get, but they did not put up with unprofessional actions. You make a big boy salary, you have a big boy responsibility. Show the world your butt, and were I the owner, you would not get the chance to show it wearing my uniform.
Maybe I am too hard core. Maybe I am too cut and dried. But, it is all we really have, in the end, is our integrity based on our accountability. Lack of integrity always shines through.
Love you all.
No comments:
Post a Comment