Well, it has been a couple of days. I was sick enough to not do anything for 2 full days. I don't know that I have ever been that sick before. Or had that much taken out of me in such a short span of time. That virus was no joke.
I will spare the details, but it was an unpleasant experience that I do not wish to relive. Partly due to Trina having gone through the same issue the night before, we have decided to stay inside, stay quiet, and ring in the new year together.
Not the most exciting evening from everyone's perspective, but it works for us. I am just glad we are both feeling better. Neither of us is completely rebounded, but better enough that we may stay awake until the ball drop without medical help.
I suppose you are kind of expected to have resolutions and such today. I don't. It is not that I don't think we should do things differently in the coming year. It is more that I don't know that it should be about an arbitrary day we picked as the first of the year. You should just go change the things in your life you don't like, regardless of the calendar heading.
There are however, some things that we are going to address in the coming year. It is our time to work on them. Mostly they are about our faith and our spiritual life together and as a family. It all rolls back to that with us. This is our focus area. We have seen plenty of evidence that if we take care of our faith, our faith has taken care of all the rest. Grace is free, the rest requires work, investment, study and prayer.
We are committed to growing our faith together. And, part of that is also about dealing with the distractions to that growth. These distractions are things that impact all families, we are not unique. It is about dealing with your world life, so that it does not detract from your spiritual life. It has actually been our focus since we were married last year.
We have made progress, enough to the point that the things in front of us now can be about us. We have pledged to make time each week for us to have a date night, our time that belongs to no one else.. We have pledged to have time each day for devotions, personal study and growth. We have pledged to take more of our time off for us, to get away and recharge and rejuvenate.
While those don't seem earth shattering, neither did our goals for this year. We managed to get all the refurbishment done on the house, with a couple of small projects. We got all of our finances ordered together. We got the kids settled in their own places, and pursuing their own paths. We got most of our major medical things settled. I have to attend to a little something in January, and then we are looking at smooth sailing.
While full, frantic and at times very stressful and painful, this was a year of growth in our lives and our relationship. We are more in love than we were 365 days ago. We are more attune to our individual goals and needs. We understand each other better. What we have been through has brought us only closer. All in all, we did well in 2014.
Considering the loss and things that occur each year, I don't know that you should ever call a year a good year. Maybe that will never be true, that there are points and places that mark each of our years as something other than good. But, we were not made to catalog loss and struggle. That is the opposite of what we were created for.
So, I will say that the things that were painful were really, really painful. But the things that were joyous were more joyous. The things that were challenges were very challenging. But, the things that were blessings were much more blessed.
That is what I hope you can see in the year you are about to leave. I hope that you find the coming year to be a hopeful time, full of the brightness of the path forward of progress and growth. We hope that for all of you.
I love you all.
No comments:
Post a Comment